BC Event Management is pleased to announce that BC Event Management’s David Clark (President) and Shane Droucker (Director of Production) won Sports Emmy Awards in the category Outstanding Technical Team Studio, from the National Academy of TV Arts & Sciences for the construction of the Fox Sports Studio on Jack Poole Plaza for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015.
BC Event Management was contracted by Fox Sports to technically design, engineer, and construct the temporary broadcast studio on the plaza by the Vancouver Convention Centre to host Fox Sports’ coverage of the FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2015. Many others supplied the all-important broadcast components.
The unique construction challenges of this project included:
- Designing lightweight construction as the studio is on the roof of retail spaces below.
- Very limited use of cranes and lifts as the whole plaza has weight limitations and is finished with paving stones on top of sand.
- Limited time to build (2.5 weeks)
- Challenges to meet strict building codes for permanent buildings even though this structure was only to stand for 30 days.
- Challenges to anchor the structure for seismic and wind load code requirements since the plaza has a membrane seal which should not be penetrated.