Vancouver's Tourism Industry Fast Facts
- More than 10 million people visited Vancouver in 2016 – the highest overnight visitation in the city’s history.
- Vancouver's top five visitor markets are Canada, the U.S., China, UK and Australia (in order of volume). China bumped the UK from third position in 2013.
- Tourism contributes approximately $4.4 billion to the Metro Vancouver economy annually and provides over 70,000 full time jobs.
- Tourism generates approximately $14.6 billion in revenue in British Columbia. Source: Destination British Columbia
- There are approximately 24,000 hotel rooms in Metro Vancouver, with approximately 10,400 in the downtown core.
- Vancouver gets approximately 230 cruise ship calls annually. Each cruise ship stimulates more than $2 million in economic activity. Source
- More than half of BC’s tourism-related businesses are located in the Vancouver Coast and Mountains region.
- Vancouver International Airport has been rated the best airport in North America for an unprecedented eight consecutive years.