Guo Pei, China’s most prominent couturière, is known for her stunning marriage of contemporary aesthetics and materials with ancient Chinese tradition, history, and mythology in her work. Dressing everyone from celebrities to royalty for the last twenty years, Guo Pei’s avant-garde silhouettes caught the world’s attention after American signer Rihanna wore her yellow Empress Cape (dubbed the omelette dress) to the 2015 Met Gala, for the launch of the institution’s China: Through the Looking Glass exhibition.
Vancouver Art Gallery’s exhibition Guo Pei: Couture Beyond, running from October 13, 2018 to January 20, 2019, will provide an overview of Guo Pei’s work and delve into the evolution of her designs over a ten-year period.
For hours, tickets, tour times, and more information visit the Gallery’s website: vanartgallery.bc.ca .
Vancouver Art Gallery’s Current & Upcoming Exhibitions:
- Emily Carr in Dialogue with Mattie Gunterman | Through to September 3, 2018
- Offsite: Shigeru Ban | Through to October 8, 2018
- Ayumi Goto & Peter Morin: how do you carry the land? | Through to October 28, 2018
- Kevin Schmidt | Through to October 28, 2018
- David Milne | Through to September 16, 2018
- Cabin Fever | Through to September 30, 2018
- Guo Pei: Couture Beyond | October 13, 2018 – January 20, 2019
- Dana Claxton: Fringing the Cube | October 27, 2018 – February 3, 2019