‘Tis the season for fancy coffee, decadent hot chocolate and festive tea! Read on for some of our favourite cool-weather drinks in Vancouver.
- Thierry’s Salted Caramel Latte. Add a shot of espresso to your holiday shopping spree at Thierry Café, conveniently situated in the midst of Alberni Street’s high-end, perfect-for-presents boutiques. The seasonal Salted Caramel Latte – inspired by the café’s signature salted caramel macaron – is guaranteed to soothe your soul with frothy steamed milked, double espresso and a velvety, caramel-infused finish topped with sea salt and brown sugar. Talk about retail therapy.
- TWG Tea’s holiday brews. Elegant and classic, yet contemporary and innovative, TWG Tea is the ultimate gift for yourself, someone special, or that co-worker you’ve been trying to win over. Festive varieties include the Noel! Noel! – an elixir of white and black teas packed with fragrant spices and enhanced by delicate clementine and Tahitian vanilla – and White Christmas, a rare Yin Zhen white tea hand-blended with exotic fruits and spices. TWG Tea’s storefront and salon opens in Vancouver this December; meanwhile, you can order teas and related accessories online.
- Café Medina’s Lavender Latte. If you’re into flavoured coffees – or you’re switching up your usual black-with-cream-and-sugar – the Lavender Latte is a must-try. Lightly floral, not too sweet and subtle enough that you catch just a hint of the fragrant blossom, this drink will put your usual vanilla latte to shame.
- Thomas Haas has earned a sweet reputation for crafting sinfully decadent desserts – and his café’s Hot Chocolate is no different. The rich and creamy drinking chocolate is available in varying cocoa percentages, as well as an “Aztec” variety whose 65 percent cocoa is enhanced with spicy chipotle and ancho chili.
- Black Echo Coffee’s Bulletproof. Inspired by the Tibetan tradition of adding yak butter to tea, Bulletproof coffee is a blend of coffee, MCT oil and grass-fed butter that’s said to be antioxidant-rich and filled with energy-producing compounds. Black Echo Coffee’s creamy, decadent Butter Roasted Espresso version might not boast the same health claims, but who cares when it tastes so damn good?