What: 2016 Brain Health Fair (Presented by the American Academy of Neurology)
When: Friday, April 15, 2016, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Where: Vancouver Convention Centre
Sign up Now: FREE event sign-up at http://www.BrainHealthFair.com
On Location: FREE lunch to all attendees
VANCOUVER, B.C. – How much do you know about brain health? People of all ages are sure to learn something new at the 2016 Brain Health Fair, presented by the American Academy of Neurology (AAN). The free, one-day-only event includes fun, hands-on activities and plenty of opportunities to discover the wonders of the brain. Open to the general public, the fair encourages attendees to interact with some of the best and brightest neurologists in the world.
As part of the Brain Health Fair's keynote address, the AAN will acknowledge "Brain Health Awareness Day" in the City of Vancouver, as declared by Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson.
The Brain Health Fair is open to all Vancouver neurology patients, caregivers, families, students and anyone interested in brain health. Diseases that will be covered during the event include multiple sclerosis, dementia, epilepsy, stroke, Parkinson's disease, movement disorders, headache, pediatric neurology and others.
Features targeted to patients, families and caregivers:
· “Ask a Neurologist” booths—talk to top neurologists
· Learn about the latest treatments and research advances
· Get prevention and healthy lifestyle tips
You can also:
· Walk through an inflatable, interactive brain
· Hold an actual human brain
· View animal brains—from mouse to dolphin
· Create brain-inspired arts and crafts
· Participate in active games in the sports pavilion
· Learn how nerves govern your senses at the cranial nerve stations
· Explore “Body Works Exhibits” and “Blow Your Mind Demonstrations” by Science World
· Pick up a free bike helmet at the helmet giveaway
· See winning videos from the Neuroscience Is…TM Cool Video Contest
· View the work of local student scientists at the Science Fair
Have a cool brain science project? All Vancouver elementary, middle school and high school students are encouraged to submit their brain, spinal cord, nerve or muscle science project to the Brain Health Fair’s Science Fair. Application deadline is March 16, 2016. For an application, go to BrainHealthFair.com.
“There have been amazing advances in brain research and treatments over the past year, making it a really exciting time in brain health,” said Jon Stoessl, CM, MD, FRCPC, FCAHS, Co-Director of the Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health and Head of Neurology at the University of British Columbia and Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology. “We are incredibly fortunate to have the Brain Health Fair come to Vancouver because it will give residents exclusive access to some of the world’s top neurologists and neuroscientists, as well as the opportunity to learn about brain health in a fun and family-friendly setting.”