Here's a hot secret: the movie Fifty Shades of Grey was filmed in Vancouver, Canada, despite being set in the sleepy college town of Vancouver, USA, and nearby metropolis of Seattle. Filming of the erotic novel adaptation occurred in winter 2014 and rumour has it the cast will return to Vancouver in 2015 to begin shooting the sequel, Fifty Shades Darker. Super fans of the film and sexy leading man Jamie Dornan will want to rub up against the following locations on their next trip to Vancouver.
- The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver doubled as Portland's Heathman Hotel where Christian Grey
(Jamie Dornan) is photographed in a hotel suite by a friend of leading lady Anastasia (Dakota Johnson) for a university newspaper article. The steamy elevator scene was also filmed at the hotel.
- Rainier Provisions café on Carrall Street in Gastown was the site of Ana and Grey's first coffee
date. The restaurant ended up shipping one of their tables, some chairs and the table setting to LA for additions to the scene.
- Other scenes filmed in trendy Gastown include Grey presenting Ana with a new car outside her apartment (at the corner of Powell and Columbia streets), and Grey saving Ana from a cyclist (filmed near Vancouver's famous Gassy Jack statue.)
- The Bentall 5 office tower was used as Grey House, with exterior shots including Grey getting into a silver Audi. Think about that while you are having lunch in the Cactus Club Café on the ground floor.
- Simulated rain was needed to drench Grey for a jogging scene along the Coal Harbour waterfront near the Westin Bayshore Hotel.