Open Stage Edition #1
- February 11, 2020
- Times: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 8:00pm
- Location: The Dance Centre
- 677 Davie St
- Vancouver, BC V6B 2G6
Tuesday February 11, 2020 | 8pm
Scotiabank Dance Centre
677 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6B 2G6
Open Stage features five dance works spanning a varied range of styles and approaches by Adelynne Addington, Ana Sosa, Anouk Froidevaux, Jhoely Triana Flamenco, and Tomoyo Yamada/Clala Dance Project. Open Stage is a new program initiated by The Dance Centre, offering the opportunity for dance artists to present short works in an uncurated, shared performance.
• The virtuosity of Irish dance meets the freedom and creativity of tap in percussive dancer Adelynne Addington’s Trading Taps, a dazzling display of footwork featuring Addington with tap dancer Jennifer Bishop and Irish dancer Luc Benoit.
• Ana Sosa’s new solo System of Strings is inspired by the ethereal imagery of the song Sawdust and Diamonds by acclaimed singer/songwriter Joanna Newsom, and combines release techniques and ballet to tell a story through the body.
• Anouk Froidevaux’s solo Body and Belonging uses movement and voice to approach the body as a meeting point where past, present and future converge, while looking at the climate crisis as a mirror response to the violence inflicted on the female body.
• Jhoely Triana Flamenco presents Alegrias y Solea, two traditional, contrasting flamenco solos performed by Jhoely Triana and accompanied by guitarist Gary Hayes and singer Jafelin Helten. Alegrias, choreographed by Kasandra Lea, expresses happiness; Solea, created in collaboration with Oscar Nieto, explores sorrow and pain.
• Tomoyo Yamada/Clala Dance Project’s yane-ura focuses on the embodied energies and histories of abandoned objects. Inspired by broken furniture in lanes of East Vancouver, the work explores embodying the history of each item, the memories they hold and stories that are lost. It is choreographed by Tomoyo Yamada, and performed by Charlotte Telfer-Wan, Ana Daria Vieru, and Athena Lewis.
Tickets for this event are on a sliding scale: pay what you can afford.
$10 wheelchair-accessible seating + up to 1 companion
Order by phone:
Call Centre Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm
Additional $5 per order