SUSTAINABLE SUPPLIER TOURISM INDUSTRY
Tourism Vancouver, in collaboration with BC Hydro PowerSmart, has embarked on an ambitious initiative of providing its members with access to energy audits of their facilities through the Tourism Energy Specialist program.
The Tourism Energy Specialist consults with a variety of tourism industry businesses such as hotels, attractions and restaurants to identify areas for energy savings in their operations, and provides them with direction and resources to implement the changes required to realize savings from the decrease in energy consumption. To assist Tourism Vancouver members to take action, the Tourism Energy Specialist draws from a key group of sustainable suppliers.
The new SUSTAIN initiative has been created to identify suppliers that follow a comprehensive set of best practices and have established a reputation as a leaders in their respective field for environmental and sustainable service.
Sustainable Supplier Categories
- Natural Gas
- Energy management Information Systems
- Renewable Energy systems
- Lighting and Electrical contractors
- Building Envelope/Windows
- HVAC and Refrigeration systems
- Building Automation system
- Air Sealing
- Restaurant Kitchen Equipment
|Waste || |
- Waste Hauling and Recycling Services
- Organics processing
|Water || |
- Water Filtration and distribution system
- Pool Service Contractors
- Plumbing suppliers & Contractor
- Laundry Services
|Fuel || |
- Electric Vehicle Infrastructure
- Fleet services
- Cleaner Fuels
- Sustainable Commuting
|Greenhouse Gas Emissions || |
- Carbon Management Services
- Carbon Offset programs
|Green Products || |
- Green packaging and FSC paper printers and suppliers
- Non-toxic cleaning products
|Consulting Services || |
- Engineering consultants
- Interior Designers
- Sustainability consultants
- Sustainability Certification
- LEED/Green Building consulting
To date, Tourism Vancouver's energy management program has performed energy assessments on over 90 Tourism Vancouver Member businesses, saving an estimated 2.2 GWh of energy for these members. By the end of 2015, the number of assessments performed and projects implemented will have doubled.Other sustainability initiatives are also going to require tourism industry engagement such as organic waste management, water conservation and greenhouse gas emissions management.
Tourism Vancouver is currently seeking suppliers that meet the criteria. As a participant in SUSTAIN, your business will join a network of other supplier businesses to gain direct access to over 1000 Tourism industry businesses that are members of Tourism Vancouver. SUSTAIN participants will be promoted and provided first rights to secure business opportunities with tourism industry businesses that have opted to act on their energy audit recommendations.
An annual participation fee is required to secure your position in SUSTAIN. Fees are based on the number of full time employees for the local office and start at $578.00 plus GST.
Your annual SUSTAIN participation fee includes a number of benefits:
- Complimentary Associate Membership with Tourism Vancouver as a Tourism Industry Service
- Complimentary listing on tourismvancouver.com/sustain. (tourismvancouver.com generates over 3 million visits annually)
- Receive Tourism Vancouver's weekly enews
- Receive direct leads and referrals from the Tourism Energy Specialist program
- Participate in networking opportunities at various Tourism Vancouver events including the Annual General Meeting, Nooner at the Nat, The Open House, Member Mixers and other social and business engagements.
- Access Tourism Vancouver Members' Extranet which contains valuable research, industry information and more
Potential growth in sustainable suppliers:
With the addition of a Fortis BC sponsored energy specialist the scope of energy projects implemented by Tourism Vancouver members is expected to grow.
By 2015 it is also expected that Metro Vancouver will implement an organic diversion regulation. Businesses involved with any aspect of the food processing supply chain, including packaging and waste handling will see increased demand for tailored solutions.
For more information on participation in this unique initiative:Gwendal Castellan
Tourism Energy Specialist, Tourism Vancouver
Account Executive, Member & Sponsor Relations