On March 12 and 13, 2016, Vancouver will host the Canada Sevens, the first Canadian tournament to be part of the World Rugby Sevens Series. Over one weekend in March, the world’s top 16 national teams do battle at BC Place Stadium, playing a game similar to rugby union, but quicker and with less players. As an international tournament, the excitement happens both on and off the field, as visitors from around the world cheer their teams on and also partake in a weekend-long festival and celebration.
In August 2016, Vancouver will host the inaugural Americas Masters Games, bringing together 10,000 participants from throughout the Americas region. The nine-day event is open to competitors who are at least 30 years old. The event is designed to complement the World Masters Games and create a regular opportunity for Masters athletes to compete within the region.
- Stanley Park Open Pro Am Tennis Tournament - 1931 to present: held in beautiful Stanley Park, this is one of the largest public tournaments in the world.
- BMO Vancouver Marathon - 1972 to present: held in May each year, it is the largest international marathon event in Canada and also includes a wheelchair division, half-marathon, an 8k run, and a kids’ 1k run, as well as a family-friendly street festival for runners and spectators.
- Harry Jerome International Track Classic - 1983 to present: part of the National Track League series, this track classic is Canada’s oldest and most prestigious track and field meet. Four hundred athletes from 17 nations competed in 2015.
- Vancouver Sun Run - 1985 to present: one of the largest 10k runs in the world with over 40,000 participants, including a wheelchair division.
- Vancouver Dragon Boat Festival - 1986 to present: around 200 teams from around the globe paddle the waters of downtown Vancouver’s False Creek for dragon boat racing of the highest calibre.
- Scotiabank Vancouver Half-Marathon & 5k – 1998 to present: over 6,000 runners take to the streets of Vancouver between UBC and downtown, with a 5k course offered around Stanley Park.
- Subaru Vancouver 5i50 Triathlon - 2002 to present: now starts and finishes in downtown Vancouver making it a truly unique Olympic-distance triathlon in an urban setting. Part of the Subaru IRONMAN Western Canada Series, the event also features an expo with a festival-like atmosphere.
- Odlum Brown Vancouver Open Tennis Tournament - 2002 to present: held at the Hollyburn Country Club in West Vancouver, this professional tennis tournament is played on outdoor hard courts and in 2013, attracted over 140 international players from 40 countries.
- SeaWheeze lululemon Half Marathon - 2012 to present: runners from around North America converge on Vancouver to experience a full weekend of fun. Along with the half-marathon run through the city’s most picturesque parks and neighbourhoods, the event includes sunrise yoga class at Jack Poole Plaza and SeaWheeze Sunset Festival.
Select Past Events Hosted in Vancouver
- 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup
- 2014 CFL Grey Cup (also 1999, 2005 and 2011)
- 2012 Canadian Women’s Open Golf Tournament
- 2011 GLISA North American "Outgames"
- 2011 NHL Stanley Cup Final
- 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
- 2010 World Wheelchair Rugby Championships (also 2004 and 2008)
- 2009 World Police & Fire Games
- 2009 FIS Snowboard World Cup
- 2008 Triathlon ITU World Championships
- 2003 World Weightlifting Championships
- 2001 World Figure Skating Championships
- 1998 NHL All-Star Game