Ten Things to Do on a Rainy Day in Vancouver
- Recharge in the tropical heat of glass-domed Bloedel Floral Conserva-tory at Queen Elizabeth Park (vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/queen-elizabeth-park.aspx).
- Take a culinary tour of Granville Island Public Market with the Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts or Edible Canada
- Enjoy the tranquillity of weekend afternoon tea by the fire at Bacchus Lounge in the Wedgewood Hotel (www.wedgewoodhotel.com)
- Warm your insides with a tongue-tingling jalapeno or chilli pepper-and-chocolate gelato from La Casa Gelato (www.lacasagelato.com), where more than 500 flavours await
- Hit the spa at the Fairmont Pacific Rim (www.fairmont.com/pacificrim)
- Embrace the rain with a guided rainforest tour and gourmet picnic lunch (www.rockwoodadventures.com) in Lighthouse Park. Discover lichens, mosses and some of the Lower Mainland’s oldest cedar trees
- Select some reading material (or take in a free author reading) at the Vancouver Public Library (www.vpl.vancouver.bc.ca)
- Roll out your sleeping bag and overnight next to the beluga whale tank at the Vancouver Aquarium (www.vanaqua.org)
- Get lost in the incredible Museum of Anthropology (www.moa.ubc.ca). Arthur Erickson's spectacular glass and concrete space gives the collection of majestic totem poles freedom to tower.
- Catch a matinée. Duck out of the rain and into one of Vancouver’s live theatres. Walk-ups are welcome at the Granville Island Stage and Waterfront Theatres on Granville Island, and the Firehall theatre downtown. Check www.ticketstonight.ca to see what’s on or to buy half-price, day-of tickets to select shows