Photo: Flight Sample at Big Rock Urban Brewery
A record number of craft breweries are opening in Vancouver, making the city the biggest producer of craft beer in Canada. Circa 1900, "Brewery Creek" was the moniker for a stretch of stream in what is today Vancouver's Mount Pleasant neighbourhood. Centred on what's now known as Main Street, the trickling water supply powered water wheels for nearby beer and soda producers. After decades of urban development, the stream closed and the consequent Prohibition years led to a shutdown of the breweries - until now. Thanks to the recent change in liquor laws, a new crop of breweries are popping up in Mount Pleasant and the area is reclaiming the name Brewery Creek. Each year Vancouver has surpassed the previous record of craft brewery openings. By the end of 2016, if all anticipated openings go ahead as planned, there will be upwards of 130 breweries in B.C. and as noted by the Globe and Mail, "there's no more exciting place to drink craft beer in B.C. - and possibly all of Canada."
- Big Rock Urban Brewery opened in April 2016. Though they've been brewing for thirty years, Big Rock's Vancouver beer is crafted exclusively for the Vancouver market. The brewery is also producing a special English-style ale for the 2016 Dine Out Vancouver Festival (January 15 - 31, 2016).
- Steel Toad Brewery is located in the historic - and newly restored - Opsal Steel building. Small-batch craft beers are sold exclusively onsite and paired with a menu curated by Chef Robbie Robinson (formerly of Le Crocodile, West and Claridge's in London.)
- Central City Brewing's Red Racer Restaurant is located right across from BC Place Stadium and Roger's Arena and features 40+ taps of their own beers and other locally brewed favourites.
- Craft Beer Market Restaurant + Bar is located inside the old Salt Factory in Olympic Village, and boasts 140 taps - the largest draft selection in Canada (link)
- Vancouver Brewery Tours offers guided beer tours in a comfortable 12-seater van, including a new tour that ends with a hearty meal at Big Rock.