Vancouver, BC (April 29): Monday, May 2nd marks the first day of Be A Tourist In Your Own Town, a month-long promotion that offers locals free tickets to many of Vancouver’s world-class visitor attractions. Below, find Tourism Vancouver’s top five tips for playing tourist.
1. Be an early bird – like, 7 a.m. early. That’s when the “attraction of the day” will be announced on www.tourismvancouver.com/BAT, leading to an inevitable frenzy as locals scramble to download the coveted – yet limited – free tickets. Make sure to set the alarm clock to claim yours!
2. Spread the word. Craft a Tweet, write a Facebook post or send a text about Be A Tourist In Your Own Town. After all, the more people you know who snag admission passes, the more likely you are to be offered their second free ticket. And if you score tickets for yourself, why not invite an out-of-town friend or relative to share the experience?
3. Don’t forget your camera. It may have been awhile since you last visited these attractions, and much has probably changed. Besides, you’ll want to document the outing for your blog/scrapbook/Facebook page.
4. Sniff out the freebies. Many attractions will feature special events and offers on their free ticket day. And don’t forget about the biggest freebie of all: a grand prize package that includes four tickets to each of the attractions taking part in the promotion.
5. Act like you’re on vacation. When you’re in a foreign city, you make it a priority to tour local hotspots and major tourist attractions. But when was the last time you did that at home? Put on your walking shoes, don your coolest shades and get ready to soak in all the cool venues you never knew were here.
BE A TOURIST IN YOUR OWN TOWN: THE DETAILS
Be A Tourist In Your Own Town was launched by Tourism Vancouver and participating attractions in celebration of Vancouver 125. Throughout the month, more than 30,000 free admission tickets to various city venues will be distributed, with the aim of encouraging Vancouver residents to more fully explore their hometown. The festivities begin on May 2 at 7:00 a.m. when the first “attraction of the day” will be announced on Tourism Vancouver’s website (www.tourismvancouver.com), Twitter feed (@MyVancouver) and Facebook page (www.facebook.com/InsideVancouver). Locals can then logon to www.tourismvancouver.com/BAT and download a coupon for two free admission passes, valid for the next day. The last attraction will be announced on May 28, with Be A Tourist in Your Own Town officially concluding on May 29.
Tourism Vancouver’s focus is on building exceptional customer relationships with meeting planners, travel influencers, travel media and independent tourists. The organization’s brand essence is about “exceeding expectations”.