Photo credit: Anthony Maw | Flickr
10 Things to Do on A Rainy Day in Vancouver
It’s no secret that Canada’s West Coast sees its fair share of rainy weather, particularly during the fall and winter months. Fortunately, Vancouver has plenty of exciting things to do indoors, whether you’re looking for family activities or romantic things to do as a couple. Here’s a list of our favourite ways to stay warm, dry and entertained on a rainy day in Vancouver.
1. Escape the rain by spending the afternoon at Science World, a hands-on museum where kids and grown-ups can learn about outer space, dinosaurs, health science and more.
2. Roll out your sleeping bag and spend the night next to the beluga whale habitat at the Vancouver Aquarium. This unique sleepover gives families an up-close look at marine creatures and their underwater environment — all while staying dry.
3. Warm your insides with a tongue-tingling jalapeño or chili pepper-and-chocolate gelato from La Casa Gelato, the only retailer in the world with more than 500 gelato flavours. Kids and adults alike will be amazed at the range of choices, some of which sound like a Willy Wonka invention.
4. Vancouver has some unbelievable dining spots, so when the weather gets gloomy, make a reservation at one of the city’s splurge-worthy restaurants. Many offer a multi-course tasting menu with wine pairings – the perfect way to spend an evening.
5. Escape the dreary weather with an afternoon of full-body pampering at one of Vancouver’s luxurious spas. Relax with your sweetie while enjoying side-by-side massages, a body scrub for two, or his-and-hers pedicures.
6. Round up your significant other and travel around the world at the UBC Museum of Anthropology. This cultural destination is an ideal place to explore new ideas, learn about other cultures and view ancient and contemporary artwork.
7. Get lost in the literary world at the Vancouver Public Library’s central branch. This nine-storey, Coliseum-like structure holds more than 1.3 million books, periodicals and reference materials, free for the browsing.
8. Duck out of the rain and into one of Vancouver’s live theatres for a matinée. Walk-ups are welcome at the Granville Island Stage, where the Arts Club Theatre Company performs everything from complex comedies to musical love stories.
9. Escape to the heat of the tropics in the glass-domed Bloedel Floral Conservatory at Queen Elizabeth Park. Exotic plants, over 200 free-flying tropical birds and colourful koi fish will make you forget all about the grey weather.
10. Enjoy the tranquility of afternoon tea at one of Vancouver’s hotels, such as the Shangri-La Hotel, Fairmont Hotel Vancouver and the Wedgewood Hotel. Warm up by the fireplace while sipping tea and nibbling pastries, gourmet cakes and petite sandwiches.